May is Motorcycle Awareness Month sponsored by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Having represented many clients over the year who have been involved in motorcycle accidents, McCready, Garcia & Leet offer the following suggestions:
- Allow a larger following distance when at the back of motorcycles, which can stop quickly.
- Check mirrors as well as blind spots for motorcycles prior to entering or exiting a lane of traffic.
- Be particularly attentive when in intersections. Most crashes occur when a motorist fails to see a motorcycle and turns left in front of it.
- Never travel next to a motorcycle in a same lane.
Meanwhile, motorcyclists should:
- Avoid driving in bad weather.
- Position their bike in an area where it will not be in a motorist’s blind spot.
- Use signals to indicate lane changes.
By being mindful of motorcycles on the road, we can all be safer! McCready, Garcia & Leet have been representing clients involved in motorcycle accidents throughout Illinois & Indiana for 20 years. For a free consultation, contact us at (773) 779-9885.