The National Safety Council estimates for the past six years, the Memorial Day holiday weekend has averaged an 11.5% increase in traffic fatalities compared to similar non-holiday periods. If statistics hold true, there will be 420 traffic fatalities and over 42,000 accidents which require medical attention.
- Refrain from all cell phone use behind the wheel
- Make sure all passengers are buckled up and children are in age-appropriate safety seats
- All children 12 and under should always be in the back seat
- Allow plenty of travel time to avoid frustration and diminish the impulse to speed
- Drive defensively and exercise caution, especially during inclement weather
- Avoid driving while drowsy
- Designate a “non-drinking” driver – even moderate consumption of alcohol impairs reaction time and driving judgment
From all of us at McCready, Garcia & Leet, please drive safely! If you are in a car accident, please call us for a free consultation at (773) 779-9885.